My Weekend As A Music Journalist - Desert Daze & Sun God

Those of you who are reading this know that, if nothing else, I am prolific.  Write a lot.  Here in my own blog.  And also as a contributor to Variety, TechCrunch, Billboard, VideoInk, HuffPo, Business Insider, Wired and soon-to-be-for Forbes, among others.  For me, writing/journalism is an important "hat" I wear -- love doing it, and love adding a nugget of value/insight/access/amusement here and there.

Those of you who are reading this also likely know that I am a music junkie -- listen 24/7 -- attend festivals and live events all the time (just saw The Decemberists and Lucius with my family two nights ago in San Diego -- an excellent show by the way).

This weekend brings these two great tastes (writing and music) together  -- in one weekend where I will cover two separate music festivals as an official member of the press.  Festival #1 today, Saturday -- Desert Daze in Mecca, California (about 30 minutes from the site of Coachella).  And, Festival #2 tomorrow, Sunday -- Sun God at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) right here near me in La Jolla.  The two are hundreds of miles apart -- and also a world away in terms of the featured music.  Desert Daze -- primarily indie-focused -- features Warpaint and DIIV, among others (am preparing by listening to DIIV right now).  Sun God, on the other hand, features Snoop Dogg.  Not Snoop Lion, Snoop Dogg.  Need I say more?

Will certainly write about the music -- and about the overall festival scene and experience.  After all, my family and I continuously attend festivals and other live music events.  Our upcoming two big summer vacations are festival-driven through and through -- (1) Live Earth in Paris in June (about which I am writing for Forbes) and (2) Outside Lands in San Francisco in August.

But, I will also explore how these festivals and other live events use digital media/technology to enhance and extend the overall experience -- and how our increasingly digital/online/virtual world beckons more and more of us to engage and actively participate in the offline/physical world.

Stay tuned for my reports ...