Coachella Clash - "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" - This Year's "Must See" Artists

Coachella 2015 -- "To go, or not to go?  THAT is the question!"  (Or in the immortal words of The Clash, "Should I Stay or Should I Go?")

Last year's Coachella line-up was outstanding (here is my post about it from last year).  This year, not so much.  More bluntly, and sadly (in my view), not at all.

The long-awaited unveiling of this year's line-up occurred early this past week (here it is).  As I received the official email in my inbox, my fingers twitched with anticipation (with rumors of U2 swirling in my head).  Then reality set in as I first focused on the three headliners -- (1) AC/DC (a classic band, no doubt, but headliner ... really?), (2) Jack White (talented of course, but same question), and (3) Drake (ditto).  A triple head-scratcher.  A massive disappointment.

OK, those are the headliners.  But the rest of the line-up must be great, I thought to myself.  Right?  After all, Coachella is massively successful, so they absolutely can attract the absolute best.  But, as I very carefully mulled the list, I was beyond disappointed.  Very few of the artists and bands even remotely grabbed my interest.  And, long-time readers of my blog know that I follow the contemporary music scene very closely (and believe I have some fairly deep awareness of the artists and bands "of the day" across multiple genres).

I wasn't alone in my shock & awe.

In my informal poll taken in the aftermath of the "great Coachella unveiling," others whom I respect as (1) being music lovers, (2) having music depth (and who are taste-makers), and (3) are experienced Coachella/festival go-ers, like me -- all felt very much the same.  Virtually all of them also scratched their heads (several, more deeply than I)  -- and expressed not just deep surprise, but also deep disappointment.  And this theme carried through conversations during my past week at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

Whereas last year's list of "must see" artists and bands was long (again, here is the link to last year's post that followed last year's line-up announcement), this year's is downright diminutive.  Here are my picks -- day by day:

Friday -- Tame Impala (but, although a great band, second billing ... really? ... worthy of that kind of prominence already?), Lykke Li (maybe a "must see", but that is generous).

Saturday -- alt-J (definitely!  Although I have already seen them 4 times), Kasabian (maybe), Perfume Genius.

Sunday -- Florence and the Machine, Vance Joy (maybe ... but, again, that's a generous designation).

That's it!  That's all that even remotely "excites" me.

Yes, I know, I know -- festivals like Coachella are very much about music discovery.  I "get" that -- and know that several artists whom I do not know right now likely will impress me when I see them play.  But, I also know most of the artists in the line-up.  And, very few of those do.

So, what to do at this point?  Coachella is an annual ritual for me and my fellow music compadres.  We have made the annual pilgrimage to Music Mecca 6 of the last 7 Coachellas.  And, we purchased our VIP passes and La Quinta Resort room reservations months ago.

After seeing this year's line-up, my initial reaction was "Nyet."

But, due to the coaxing of others, I have now pulled back a bit ... and have not made my final decision ... not yet.

I'll stream the music I don't know -- (see, streaming really does lead to music discovery) -- and then make my final decision.  But, in the end, I likely will go ... for the ritual of it all ... and because, after all, 2015 would have a gaping hole without the Coachella experience ....

[UPDATED SUNDAY JAN 11 -- OF COURSE I'M GOING!  It's Coachella after all.  There is nothing like being out in the desert -- with great friends -- and getting lost in the music ... my year would not be complete without it ... no matter what line-up ...].